Introducing yourself and others
There is a range of ways to introduce yourself and people.
Here are expressions to introduce yourself:
- My name is …
- I’m ….
- Nice to meet you; I’m …
- Pleased to meet you; I’m …
- Let me introduce myself; I’m …
- I’d like to introduce myself; I’m …
Here are expressions to introduce others:
- Jack, please meet Nicolas.
- Jack, have you met Nicolas?
- I’d like you to meet Liza.
- I’d like to introduce you to Betty.
- Leila, this is Barbara. Barbara this is Leila.
Useful responses when introducing yourself or other people:
- Nice to meet you.
- Pleased to meet you.
- Happy to meet you.
- How do you do?
Alex is talking to the new manager and his assistant. Notice how they introduce themselves:
|Alex:||Hi! My name is Alex Litterman, the new manager.|
|William:||Hi! I’m William O’Brian. Nice to meet you, Mr Alex Litterman.|
|John:||William, please meet Mr Steve Lynch, my assistant|
|Jack:||How do you do?|
|Nicolas:||How do you do?|
Things to remember:
- When introducing yourself or other people in a formal situation use full names. (“I’m Alex Litterman.”)
- “How do you do?” isn’t really a question, it just means “Hello”