How to express thanks and gratitude
This page will present different ways of expressing thanks and gratitude in English.
You express thanks to tell someone that you are grateful for something that they have done or given to you.
Expressing thanks and gratitude
Here are different ways to say thank you and to show your appreciation for something done or given to you.
- Sincere thanks.
- Thank you.
- I am indebted to you.
- I appreciate what you’ve done for me.
- I am grateful.
- You’ve been very helpful.
- I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
- If anyone deserves thanks, it’s you.
- Thanks for being thoughtful.
- What you’ve done means a lot to me.
- How can I ever thank you enough for all you’ve done?
- You have been extremely supportive through this difficult time.
- I want to thank you for all the support and concern.
- That was very kind of you.
- Thank you for being there for me.
Responding to Thanks
How to respond to thanks
You can use different expressions or phrases to respond to thanks and show that you are happy to help. Being polite in your response depends on how you say these expressions. The sincerity of your response is conveyed very much more in the tone of your voice, the body language and the facial expression.
Ways to accept thanks
- you’re welcome
- don’t mention
- (it’s) my pleasure
- it’s nothing
- think nothing of it
- I’m glad/happy I could help
- it’s no bother
- it’s/that’s all right
- it’s/that’s ok
- no problem
- not at all
- of course