To express prohibition the following expressions are used.
To express prohibition you can use:
- It is prohibited to …
- You aren’t allowed to …
- You mustn’t…
- You aren’t permitted to …
- It is forbidden to …
- Parking is strictly prohibitedbetween these gates.
- Students aren’t allowed to come too late to school.
- Drivers mustn’tpark their cars here.
- It is forbiddento walk on grass.
- Smoking isn’t permittedin hospitals.
- People aren’t permittedto throw rubbish here.
Notice how prohibition is expressed in this dialogue
|The security agent:||Hey, you. What are you doing here? You aren’t allowed to enter this building.|
|Mr O’Brian:||Sorry, but I have an appointment with Dr Leila O’Biran. She’s my daughter.|
|The security agent:||Show me your ID card please.|
|Mr O’Brian:||Here you are, sir.|
|The security agent:||Well…That sounds OK. Dr Leila O’Brian is in the 3rd floor. You can take the lift sir.|